Monday, November 25, 2013

Next New - 11/26

It seems as though the options for a new type of media, or online media, are limitless.  This has become so clear to me since the invention of the internet, really, that it's certainly not the first time I've asked myself this question.  That being said, I've come up with a few interesting ideas that I think are actually viable as forms of new media.  The best, in my opinion, is not necessarily a new idea but rather an extension of a service that most of us are familiar with - Twitter.  Specifically, my idea calls for a wider and more interactive based Twitter.  By this I mean, how can we make Twitter something that is even more accessible.  Granted, this is an objective that Twitter has had for a long time but I think they may be missing the mark.  It seems to me that their focus has been how can we connect interested parties with one another (i.e. celebrities with regular people or companies with their customers).  However, I think that it can be taken a step further.  What if Twitter transitioned its focus more locally - a way to connect residents with their landlords, students with their teachers and local businesses with their customers.  I think that as more people begin to adopt the service the practical applications will only continue to grow - and I think Wall Street agrees with me.  And so, my idea for a new type of new media is a Twitter that has the majority of its focus on local businesses and real time information that can be used to help people conduct their every day lives.  Having this information will eventually be invaluable - and there needs to be a better way of delivering it to the consumer and finding more consumers, everyday people, that will use and contribute.

3 comments:

Anthony Shaw said...

The next new thing or innovation will most likely be built upon the current technologies that are presently being used, therefore I can see further improvements with Twitter as you suggested.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Paul, you make a great point. New media such as Twitter has already transformed how we may communicate with others from all around the world, but a more community-based social network will not only be beneficial as a means of communicating with people you really know but also aids in the privacy issue that global networks have been recently scrutinized for.